Haines is a small community on the Chilkat Peninsula at the north end of Lynn Canal in Southeast Alaska. The area was called Dtehshuh or "end of the trail" by the Tlingit that used a trail to portage canoes across the peninsula from the Chilkat River.
Sturdies Bay is on the southeast shore of Galiano Island, one of the Southern Gulf Islands between Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland of British Columbia, Canada. The island is named after the Spanish explorer Dionisio Alcalá Galiano, who explored the area in 1792.
Baranof is located on Warm Springs Bay on the east side of Baranof Island, about 20 air miles east of Sitka, and just off of Chatham Strait. Baranof Island is in the northern Alexander Archipelago of Southeast Alaska.
The town of Craig is the largest town on Prince of Wales Island, which is the fourth largest island in the United States.
CoastView is a non-profit science education company. Our mission is to promote exploration of the Alaska, Pacific Northwest, and California coasts through pictures and stories. Please contact us with suggestions, comments, or to report errors. We also accept sponsorships. Thanks for visiting!